Search This Blog

Sunday 4 July 2010

Tales From My Garden

I can't believe it's been over a month since my last blog entry - the time has raced by.  June was a busy month with more kids' birthday parties than I've ever seen, and a couple of weekend markets.  It was also my last month as someone else's employee.  I'm now focusing on Fairfield Gardens full time.  I'm so excited!

Today was a very relaxing day. I even managed to get a nap in the afternoon; something I haven't done in ages. The morning was spent in the garden with the boys. My job was to collect strawberries, which I seemed to be doing for a really long time!  This was the harvest ==> 

We collected about the same amount last week, and before that the odd handful or two every few days.  I'm so impressed with the productivity of such a small patch, which made me think about the rest of the garden and how much we've managed to cram into our small space. There's been a steady supply of lettuce, chard, radishes and courgettes for over a month, and in the last couple of weeks peas and beetroot.  And this year we should also get beans, tomatoes, peppers, chillies, cucumbers, corn, apples and one carrot! Out of all the carrots that were planted only one has survived to maturity.

Every year I try to plant as much calendula as possible as we use the petals in the Grapefruit & Geranium range, and I also wanted to try making calendula oil this year.

And there is one pot of hot red lilies. I love the colour of them - it's so vibrant. They only flower for about two weeks, but they put on a great show.

There's nothing like spending a bit of time outdoors.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
domain names